What's New With Craig...: Riding Solo...

Sunday, October 02, 2005

Riding Solo...

So Cade has had his own bike for awhile now. When we got it, I got it a little big because I didn't want to turn around and have to buy another one right away because he outgrew it. He could ride it with the training wheels no problem. But I neglected to think the whole thing through. Cade wasn't big enough to stand up over the bike and have his feet on the ground. This was going to prove to be a little difficult when it came time to learn without the training wheels. As a result, we never really got to it.

As it turns out, a friend of mine from work had a small bike to give away. It was the perfect size to learn on. Yeah, sure, it was a little worn but it had character. Cade and I cleaned it up and got it ready for the road.

Today, Sunday, the family headed over to a local school to play on the playground equipment and rides bikes. Finally we all were beginning to feel a little better after being sick. Cade quickly took to the bike and immediately realized it was going to be a little harder than he thought. I had explained in advance that it was going to be a challenge and that he shouldn't expect to be a pro after the first day. It was going to take time. He did great though. After he got used to the feel of it, I started counting seconds out loud that he was riding without me holding him. He made it to 9 seconds one time and was very proud of himself. The whole thing wore my ass out! I was hustling to keep up with him and kinda had to squat a bit because I am so tall. He made me proud because he stayed positive even when things weren't always going so good.

Cale started on the scooter, moved quickly to the bike, and just as fast to the playround equipment. He loves being outside and running around like a maniac. :) Cade and I joined him for a little fun while we took a break from the bike riding. There's nothing like having a huge playground to yourself.

For more photos of the day, head on over to my Flickr page.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home