What's New With Craig...: Guitar Hero Clone -- Frets on Fire

Monday, March 26, 2007

Guitar Hero Clone -- Frets on Fire

Don't have a PS2 or xbox 360? Check out the free open source alternative to Guitar Hero called Frets on Fire. You can use your PC keyboard like a guitar or even use a PS2 Guitar Hero controller if you have one. It works great and you can't beat the price. Frets on Fire is available for either Windows XP or Linux. Real songs are not included but you can download them if you have a bit torrent client.

Here are some seed links to some songs you can use with FoF:

Guitar Hero I Songs
Guitar Hero II Songs
Various Songs 1
Various Songs 2

I recommend mapping the keys to something that suits you best. My keyboard is routed so I can't hold it as a guitar. As a result, I changed the keys to I pick with my left hand and fret with my right.

The game is very fun and our family really enjoys it (yes, even Shelly). Guitar Hero II will be released for the xbox 360 on 4.3.2007. I've already pre-ordered it. Using an actual guitar is going to be much more fun. That being said Frets on Fire is a blast with the keyboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home